hey-o! i have been here more than a week now, which is crazy, but also maybe not. depending on the time of day it either feels way longer than that or way shorter. in that time i have found space for almost all my dishes & pots & pans (not all though, there’s a bowl and a tart pan on the floor next to my closet) and have gone to five different grocery stores. i have had my own internet installed and collapsed a shit-ton of boxes. but what about my usually active and fulfilling social life? well, obviously, despite the fact that i moved here knowing only two people, one of them being a professor and the other one being married to a dude in chicago that she lives with when class isn’t in session, i have a ton of friends now, because i’m super socially adept. they are as follows:
- landlord: small, orange-colored, about 75, named Bob
- cashier at the mexican grocery, with whom i chatted about black beans, and we were able to come to an agreement w/r/t their tasting good
- Sandra, the mentally ill and/or addicted lady who lives one street down and who has come to my door three separate times now and asked if i’m going to be around later and if she can stop by and so now all my shades are down because i live on the first floor and it’s almost impossible to pretend i’m not home
- Brian (Bryan?), the Charter company employee who came to install my internet today. honestly he is probably my best friend here so far, we talked about whether he gets paid by the hour, how good my cup of coffee smelled, and where to eat italian food in kzoo.
- Matt, the gregarious and customer-focused employee at grocery store no. 5. he gave me a sample of “roasted root vegetable medley” and apologized for being out of lemons.