Events that occurred over Halloween weekend 2010:
- Between us, Rachel and I worked approximately a million hours, but we made bank so hey.
- I dressed as Joan Holloway for a party at which, it turned out, I was the only person who watched Mad Men. There was a lot of drunken “You look sooooo good! Who…. arrrrrre you?”
- At the same party, Andrew dressed as Mr. Rogers!
- Quite a number of people I kinda/sorta knew in high school puked.
- During trick-or-treating, a toddler dressed as a monkey shrieked that I was ugly. “He doesn’t like masks,” the mother said. I apologized and covered my masquerade mask with one hand while fetching the candy. Afterward, when I thought he wasn’t looking, I lifted my hand. Mistake. “UGLY!” the baby screamed again, and pointed at my face.
- My cousin and I bought eight bags of candy to hand out, since we always run out before trick-or-treating is over, but barely used three. (Is it obnoxious to return candy to the store the day after Halloween? We’re each out $20 and there’s no way I can eat that many Jolly Ranchers.)
- A five-year-old hid in a cardboard box on the stoop. Thinking he had fumbled his costume –– like he was a robot or something, and had knocked off the top part –– I asked him what he was and he said, “A box.”