Guys, I went on a real life date this weekend! To the movies! Can you remember the last time I did that? Because I can’t. Whatever, the point is I went to go see Paper Heart which I know puts me way behind the times because everyone who cares has already seen it but whatever! Story of my life! I never saw a single episode of Daria while it was still on the air!
Anyways, it was super great! I spilled popcorn into my purse at one point, but that wasn’t the movie’s fault. The film follows Charlyne, who has decided she doesn’t believe love exists and who luckily has a lot of well-connected hipster friends who are able to make a documentary to explore this question. I think the wikipedia page describes it best: “The film follows Charlyne as she embarks on a quest across America to make a documentary about the one and only subject she doesn’t fully understand, considering her complete understanding of all subjects except one: this one.” Basically I felt good the whole time I watched it, and it is all because of this lady:
Pretty much Charlyne Yi is the coolest! I got pretty into her fictionalized romance with Michael Cera, but her appeal was so much greater than Cera’s (I know! I was surprised too.) that I didn’t even really care how it turned out, I just liked hearing her talk about it. Here is a list of things about Charlyne Yi that make this movie awesome:
1. “I think I’ll have a BLT, but without the B and with some PC.” (Pickles and cheese. Obviously.)
2. According to wikipedia, she was the Executive Assistant of a show called “Powerloafing.” Come on, that’s funny.
3. Things she does for fun include rifle ranges and setting off fireworks in parking lots!
4. Her glasses are cooler than mine.
5. Sometimes she gets into motorcycle crash explosion shootouts with the police. It’s true!
6. This conversation:
“You’re totally in love!”
“Yeah, well, so are you! With Chris Brown!”
“At least I admit it!”
7. I really genuinely love her fashion sense. I never thought anyone could look good wearing four baggy sweatshirts one over the other, but she totally does.
8. She is super good at pretending to be a chicken.
9. Apparently if you are marrying someone 50 years younger than you who may or may not be a mail-order bride in a sketchy drive-thru chapel in Vegas, she will be willing to be your witness?
10. For someone who doesn’t believe in love, she writes some of the most beautiful loves songs I’ve ever heard. DON’T YOU WANT TO SEE THE MOVIE NOW? DON’T YOU?